Hi Christoph,

For data accuracy:

Yes, our goal is to automate the tagging for flat-roofed and
unobstructed buildings. Sloped or uneven roofs and trees can be
identified in the JOSM hillshade tileset [0]. Mappers will then refer
to the raw LIDAR or street level imagery to determine the correct
height.

We want to prepare for mappers a complete set of tools and imagery to
create an accurate dataset. We believe the result will be up to the
standards of height data elsewhere in OSM. It should also be better
than a mapper on foot could estimate without special equipment.

For the community:

I don't believe that this import will discourage community mapping. I
used the Overpass API and found only 424 edit actions since 2012
adding a height tag to a building in San Francisco. Details are on
GitHub here [1].

Two users are responsible for 65% of these building height edits.
There are only 10 users total who have added a building height tag to
more than 2 buildings. I have messaged all these users, inviting
comments on the wiki. These results suggest to me that heights are not
a current focus of mapping in the affected area.

I do think that getting started with building heights will encourage
further mapping.  A complete 3D dataset like in New York City is a
great showcase for OSM data and attracts new users. Getting to a
similar level of detail in San Francisco is a compelling goal for the
local community. We've had offers to help from local meetup groups and
companies that are excited about the project.

Brandon

[0]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Building_Height_Import#Failure_Modes
[1] https://github.com/osmlab/sf_building_height_import/issues/21