Brian:

I appreciate your thoughtful and informative reply.  Kapolei, an "aspirational"
so-called "city," a node tagged place=city is certainly OSM "channeling local
consensus!"  I have every good reason to agree with this tagging except I'd say
"technically place=suburb seems more OSM-correct" and I think we'd both be
largely if not completely correct.  Yes, especially because it is a node.
Whether city or suburb sounds like it could be a potentially endless "local vs.
purist" sort of round-and-round.  So, I now politely back away from Kapolei —
no, thanks to further discussion about it.  (Locals are welcome to, I'm staying
out of it).

To the question "IS Honolulu a CCC or is it 'just' an unincorporated place
inside a county?"  I believe knowledgable people would say it is NOT the latter
(it is the only incorporated place in the state of Hawaii), it is a CCC and
that includes both a city called Honolulu (which may be the same as or
coterminous with Honolulu County and/or the island of Oahu, but I'm not sure
about that) and a county which seems like it goes all the way out to Green
Island (thousands of kilometers WNW towards Japan).

Yes, in your "Just a County" paragraph, I am perplexed by the seeming paradox
of point #1.  I don't know what to make of this, except that somebody ought to
be able to assert a boundary of "Honolulu City," distinct from "the rest of the
island of Oahu which is not in the City of Honolulu."  That would clinch it in
my mind, but I do not have or know those data.  Perhaps we make it a goal of
ours to do our best to attain those, if they exist.

I don't know what to make of point #2, as "can't be a CCC" doesn't follow from
"much evidence asserts it is a CCC."  So I'll ignore point #2.

I'll also ignore point #3 as post offices merely (at most in OSM in the USA)
lend the name of their post office to a method of associating place=locality
(perhaps isolated_dwelling, hamlet or village) with a usually more-rural area,
where the mail is delivered and a Zone Improvement Plan (ZIP code) denotes the
mail sorting/routing algorithm (not a true boundary).  You began wanting to
denote CDPs, it evolves into CCC discussion (very good!) and then you further
"muddy" with post office.  These are three different semantics OSM can, should
and does denote.  Let's not conflate them in this discussion.

Point #4 seems important and must "somehow" be addressed in OSM.  I continue to
believe that "people" (city council members of Honolulu?) should be able to
provide geo data which assert "these are the boundaries of the City of
Honolulu, as incorporated."  Whatever those are, tag them with
boundary=administrative, admin_level=8 and perhaps border_type=city (the last
feels kind of funky old-school to me, but I don't remove it as I see it).

Point #5 is a red herring.  A City can refer to itself without referring to
"sibling" or "parent" political hierarchy relationships, even as those most
certain exist (as they most certainly do at the city level, both "sibling" as
with a County, as in CCC, and to the "state" (territory, commonwealth,
province...) and federal level as "parent."  So just because Honolulu doesn't
mention Oahu (or its sibling or parent county and it's one or the other, but
not both) doesn't mean the "partnership" (whether parent-child or
sibling-sibling) doesn't exist, that's not a real proof that demonstrates
anything except a City talking about itself.

There are many 39 other examples of CCC in the USA, yet I agree with you that
each has certain subtle and slight differences from one another due to their
history and the way that a CCC "smashes two together."  The results of this is
that the "eaches" can be distinct, the resulting mash-up can be unique, the
alignments between other similar entities can be loose, moderately similar or
rather tight and quite alike.  This makes DIRECT comparison difficult, though
we can be inspired by similarities when/as we find them.

What if we leave relation/119231 largely alone, yet clean up its tags to make
is a CDP, as that is its heritage)?  We remove the admin_level=8 tag (I do this
all the time to other CDPs which absolutely incorrectly have admin_level=7,
sometimes 8, sometimes 9, rarely 6 (I think those are all gone).  AND,
importantly, we remove the place=city tag.  (And while we're at it, remove
border_type=census, too; this is a noisy, largely meaningless as it is so
confused tag, at least on land borders, on certain well-tagged maritime
borders, it does have OK meaning).

THEN, we create a node (leaving 119231 extant, but cleaning up its tags as
above) and tag this new node with place=city, name=Honolulu, capital=yes,
is_in:state=Hawaii (though it is my understanding that is_in tagging may be
deprecating) and perhaps population=* and additional tags as they are known.
Importantly, as a node, no particular boundary is created.  The node could also
be with tagged with note="Might be tagged with role 'admin_centre' when
included in a boundary=administrative relation in the future, when distinct
boundaries of Honolulu are included in that relation as (multi)polygon data."
That paves some good road ahead for a more-specific future dataset (maybe a
Honolulu city council member points you to a university librarian or city hall
clerk who says "here are GIS data").

Queries, especially when asked correctly and ask of correct data, give correct
answers.  It's amazing how that works.  Getting the data correct and asking the
right questions after the semantics have had heads properly wrapped around them
and the syntax to get there hashed out (especially in tread-tenderly specific
local cases, like this) can be challenging for many, I agree.  It makes my head
swim a bit at times!

There ARE municipalities in Hawaii:  exactly one municipality named Honolulu,
which is a CCC coterminous with "something" — the county of Honolulu?, the
island of Oahu?, the island of Oahu + all islands out to Green?  I don't know,
but somebody does.  Let's find out and tag accordingly.

Taking into account what the locals think, as well, of course.

This has been and is excellent discussion; thank you.

SteveA