Hi,
Announcing here that we plan to add some tags to Serbian boundaries on
admin_level=9[1] as Serbian community received open data set of boundaries from
government[2] (all admin levels).

We did some preliminary analysis and this government data seems really good. It
also turns out we mostly have all boundaries with good enough accuracy[3]:)
(average of 95% of common boundary area between government and OSM data)
Because of this, at this moment we do not plan to improve existing geometries
more (but see "open question" at the end of mail), and we decided to preserve
existing history, so we also do not want to delete existing ways and import it
from scratch. However, we did wrote procedure for manually fixing existing
ways[4] to match government boundaries if we want it to be 100% correct.

So far, plan is only to add new tag `ref:sr:maticni_broj` (similar to
de:regionalschluessel and de:amtlicher_gemeindeschluessel) which is official
reference in cadaster of districts/municipalities/cities/settlements and to
improve subarea role (add where missing). We will ensure both of these are in
place by leveraging existing Serbian lint tool[5] (by emitting warning if
boundary don't have `ref:sr:maticni_broj` or subarea).

OSM file with all admin_level=9 boundaries prepared from government data is
here [6]. We are actively working in open, in this repo[7] for all current and
future analysis about this data and potential automated conflations. All of our
decisions are discussed in forum here[8].

Licence is fully open for "all purposes" and opening data is ratified in
parliament in December, and present in official journal (Сл. гласник РС
86/2019). It can be found (for this and other Serbian government data) at [9].

We *do not* plan to touch any country boundaries, just internal ones (although,
plan is to contact bordering countries' forums, just to see how much we do
differ based on their open data, if any).

**Open question**: if anyone can work with us and help how to conflate existing
OSM ways shared between admin_level=9 boundaries, so they are aligned better
with produced .osm file[4] (government data), any tips, resources, what to
watch out... please shout out! Current 95% accuracy that we have is good, and
writing tool to "move"/"add" nodes of boundary ways while watching out for
various edge cases is possible, but not really justifiable effort. If there is
existing solution/half-solution in the wild that we can take and adopt, it
might be a better way forward!

Thanks, Branko

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Serbia/RGZ_Import
[2] https://opendata.geosrbija.rs/