A colleague, Carl Moons, and I are doing some simulations to study properties of
multiple imputation using the MICE S-Plus library and using the S-Plus transcan
function.  We are are getting some unexpected findings for which we would appreciate
some of your insight.

First, our mechanism for setting some of the observations for one of the variables to
missing in the simulations is to, with a constant probability, set a value to missing
if the values of three other binary variables on that observation are simultaneously
zero.  The imputation model is an additive model that does include these three other
variables.  The ultimate Y model is also additive.  What do you expect to find if the
mechanism for missingness is non-additive but the imputation and outcome models are
additive?

Second, with the above missingness mechanism we find that multiple imputation using
the response variable results in significantly less bias in that model's regression
coefficient estimates as expected, but this improvement in bias is more than offset by
an increase in variance.  Multiple imputations ignoring Y resulted in lower MSE of
regression coefficient estimates.  Have other people found the same result?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have.  -Frank
--
Frank E Harrell Jr              Prof. of Biostatistics & Statistics
Div. of Biostatistics & Epidem. Dept. of Health Evaluation Sciences