Craig,

I think it's best not to think of such variables as a series of dummies but as a
single polytomous variable, when using multiple imputation.  The S-Plus/R package MICE
fits a polytomous logistic model to such variables and multiply imputes from the
fitted multinomial distribution.  The S-Plus/R function aregImpute in the Hmisc
package essentially uses Fisher's optimum scoring method to score the categories to
maximize R-squared, then uses predictive mean matching on predicted category scores to
multiply impute.  Both approaches result in "real" categories having realistic
marginal distributions.

Frank Harrell

--
Frank E Harrell Jr              Prof. of Biostatistics & Statistics
Div. of Biostatistics & Epidem. Dept. of Health Evaluation Sciences