On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:05:10 -0500
"Patrick S. Malone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I'm hoping to get some pointers to useful citations to satisfy an editor's
> concerns on our use of multiple imputation (using NORM).  Here are the two
> issues:
>
> "However, I could be persuaded by citations (to publications by imputation
> experts) or evidence (e.g., from Monte Carlo studies) showing that: (a) it
> is acceptable to impute missing data on the outcome variable; (b) 40% falls
> within the acceptable range for data imputation."
>
> I understand that (a) is not only acceptable, but obligatory in a
> covariance analysis, because a covariance matrix makes no distinction
> between outcomes and anything else.  However, this is so fundamental, I'm
> not finding explicit statements of it in my sources.  For (b), I realize
> that it's fraction of missing information that's the issue.  We used 10
> imputations, so we should be in good shape for the missingnes we have, but
> are there any good simulation studies varying the missing information and
> showing satisfactory results?  Schafer (97) talks about rates up to 90%
> just increasing the number of iterations needed, but there's not much
> detail on performance.
>
> In other words, has anyone written, "Multiple imputation for content
> journal editors" yet?
>
> Thanks,
> Pat Malone
>
> --
> Patrick S. Malone, Ph.D., Research Scholar
> Duke University Center for Child and Family Policy
> Durham, North Carolina, USA
> e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.duke.edu/~malone/

Pat,

I think that you will get responses from the experts that provide definitive
references on this.  Carl Moons and I are finishing a paper like the one you need,
probably for the Journal of Clinical Epidemiology.  Carl may be willing to provide you
with a preprint to show the editors.  I am cc'ing this to him.

Frank
--
Frank E Harrell Jr              Prof. of Biostatistics & Statistics
Div. of Biostatistics & Epidem. Dept. of Health Evaluation Sciences