On 10-Jul-07, at 10:51 PM, Glynn Foster wrote:

Hey,

Richard Lowe wrote:
I'm against duplication solely for familiarities sake, for a whole
host of reasons, the obvious maintenance burdon being just one of
them.

This is something that needs detailed thought and rationale on a
case-by-case basis.  "Linux has it, so ship it!" is not a reasonable
umbrella.

That said, I also think "The perfect Solaris for the * user" is also
the wrong goal, remove everything after and including the "for", and
adjust the word "Solaris" to meet your openness and trademark tastes,
and we're far closer to actually having a worthy goal.

I think we need to look at the overall user experience. Arguably the best bits of Ubuntu aren't because it has sudo - in fact when using it, I've rarely dropped into a terminal window and needed it. I think we can strive for that user experience with RBAC underneath the hood and have the best of both worlds. Would certainly be worth doing some simple investigation into the merits of
both, and figure out where we may need to improve.

Well, I for one didn't mean shipping RBAC as it is and expecting users to figure it out. My idea was to slap down an intuitive GUI of some sort ( backed by commandline stuff... like AIX's smit/smitty ) to make the whole process as painless as possible

--
This Message has been Digitally Signed

PGP Public Key 0x437AF1A1
Availiable on hkp://pgp.mit.edu