On 7/16/07, Ian Murdock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dave Miner wrote:
> > The project has to have a clear statement of what it will be initially -
> > is it a desktop that will attract people to OpenSolaris, or a minimal
> > base core to be used in building a bunch of distros?  I believe that Ian
> > and Glynn have expressed strongly the former.
>
> Yep. In my view, we're first and foremost building a distro that
> will grow the userbase. We should also have some notion of a core
> that's the compatibility baseline for derivatives, but I believe
> that's secondary and can be done as a subsetting exercise once we
> get to the distro. I strongly agree with "minimalist" though in
> the sense that we shouldn't ship multiple options--where
> we can, let's just pick one and make sure it's integrated and works.
> Missing something? It's just a "pkg install" away; and, if it's
> something big like KDE, things like "Kindiana" will no doubt emerge.

Or if we ship KDE and someone wants Gindiana

In the vein of minimalism, why not ship a minimalist WM like fluxbox
and avoid the flame war altogether. Really, shutting me up about this
issue is a simple vote away, but nobody seems to want to consult the
community.

--
PGP Public Key 0x437AF1A1
Availiable on hkp://pgp.mit.edu