Jim Grisanzio wrote:
> itself thrives. We started this project four years ago to build a
> developer community. That was the primary goal from which multiple
> objectives would grow. In fact, the notion of building a developer
> community was part of virtually every meeting I attended even a year
> before we launched. Also, we always knew we would eventually grow to
> have multiple layers to the community, not simply kernel developers.

Surely, having a kernel developer community is the least of Sun's actual
problems.
Sun has developers and having most development done in the context of a
funded and
managed environment is very valuable.  What is needed most of all is a
*user* community
that extends beyond those of us who work in large corporates who have
medium and
large Sun servers.

 From that perspective, having a community that contributes to an
involving user-land
has to be the primary focus, and I suspect that the decisions to call
this 'OpenSolaris'
and to make it much more receptive to people familiar with packaging for
Linux
is right on the money.

Please, however, don't ignore the BSD community.  In particular, I would
encourage
anyone interested in (Open)Solaris to download PC-BSD and look at the
user experience
there with the installation and PBIs.

Presumably, it would also be feasible to offer a BSD userland, not just
a GNU one.

Perhaps the installer can allow a choice of GNU, BSD and SysV (or
de-jure UNIX
or hawever you want to characterise it).

James