On 24-Nov-07, at 1:59 PM, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> John Sonnenschein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> It's come to my attention that /usr/ccs/bin/as is not
>> redistributable.
>> Since Indiana's aiming to be in the running to be considered some
>> sort
>> of reference distribution (despite how I feel about the concept in
>> general) it ought to at least be able to build ON, which it currently
>> cannot.
>>
>> So, the lack of a useful assembler is a bug. What I want to know is
>> if
>
> Schillix comes with gas (used by the included gcc). If you install
> SunStudio,
> you get as from SS.
>
> Jörg

$ ls /opt/SUNWspro/bin/as
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/as: No such file or directory

and gas cannot build ON to my knowledge, only /usr/ccs/bin/as can.

correct me if I'm wrong ( which is a real possibility ). If I am
correct, however, it's a matter which should be resolved.

Further research has lead me to Yasm, which is licensed under BSD ( so
it can actually be integrated ) and built as a library loosely tied to
a frontend ( which can be jettisoned in favour of one that takes
solaris' syntax ). Assuming nobody's working on a replacement for
SUNWsprot's copy, I was thinking of starting from there. Comments?