On 15-Jan-08, at 9:23 PM, Shawn Walker wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2008 10:01 PM, John Sonnenschein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > wrote:
>>
>> On 15-Jan-08, at 7:55 PM, Shawn Walker wrote:

>>> ...and look how successful it is. Most users just want something
>>> that
>>> works, and that is well designed.
>>>
>>> They don't want a bunch of "bells, knobs, and switches."
>>>
>>> To be honest, I'm at the point in my development career where I just
>>> want to install the OS, login and be able to start developing.
>>
>> your comment serves only to enhance my point. Users don't want GNU,
>> they want something that works.
>
> Quite the opposite. Almost every program I compile or work on anymore
> *demands* GNU tools. Whether it is GNU tar, GNU autoconf, GNU m4, GNU
> flex, GNU bison, or GNU whatever else.
>
> The point is that the majority of free software (especially popular
> FOSS) *requires* GNU tools to compile and will not compile when used
> with any other tool, unless it works exactly like the GNU tool.

So why propagate that? Make the tools available to be sure, but have
the defaults be the standards compliant versions, with an easy way to
make this not be the case.

The idea is to shoot for popularity, no? Enough developers using
indiana with a proper userspace, the problems with requiring GNU will
take care of themselves.

> I don't know about you, but I have better things to do then reinvent a
> bunch of wheels.
>
>>> For me, Indiana is a step in that direction.
>>>
>>> I don't want to have to click through a bunch of prompts.
>>>
>>> I want a simple, elegant installer.
>>>
>>> Other people may curse me, but I love the fact that XP, Vista, and
>>> OS
>>> X pretty much just have a big "install w/ no options" button.
>>
>> And they even include an "Advanced" button, which you can safely
>> ignore, or click if you're not interested in their defaults.
>
> No, actually, Vista does not. At least not in the installer GUI.
>
> Neither do certain versions of XP in the GUI.

I haven't used windows since win98, but I know that a lot of linux
users complain precisely about it's lack of options. Why reinvent
something they hate?