On 20-Jan-08, at 11:50 AM, Shawn Walker wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2008 10:06 AM, Aubrey Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 2008 3:46 PM, John Sonnenschein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> > wrote:
>>> There is nothing that an updated indiana can do with respect to the
>>> problem of building ON.
>>>
>>> The first most visible problem is in the Sun Studio tools,
>>> specifically the package SUNWsprot which contains as(1). gas doesn't
>>> work to build ON, and SUNWsprot's copy of as(1) is non-redistrib.
>>> and
>>> therefore not in indiana
>>>
>> That's really bad.
>> Will this feature be supported in the coming March release?
>
> I doubt it. Despite Jonathan Schwartz's promises over two years ago
> now that "everything Sun does will be open source" -- unknown reasons
> prevent the release of Sun Studio, even with the most basic
> redistribution rights that we already have for other OpenSolaris
> binary components.
>
> For some reason, even though OpenSolaris is "married" to Sun Studio at
> this point, Sun still seems to treat them as completely separate.
>
> This doesn't make much sense to me given Studio's direct impact on
> OpenSolaris.

the tree builds with gcc, but still requires as(1).

There are two ways of solving the problem, mangle the tree in to
building with gas, or writing an assembler from scratch ( or to extend
YASM, which is a front-end to libyasm).

To be perfectly honest, I imagine the two options are roughly
equivalent with respect to the amount of work involved, and the second
option wouldn't leave us at the mercy of GNU for yet another utility.