On 12 Mar 2008, at 20:28, Sebastien Roy wrote:

> Shawn Walker wrote:
>> That has always flabbergasted me as well.
>>
>> Most users are going to be more familiar with Evolution (since it is
>> "like MS Outlook") than Thunderbird.
>>
>> Though I suppose that depends on whether you are talking about Linux
>> users or users from other platforms.
>
> Speaking for myself only, I used Evolution for years on Solaris, and I
> dropped it in favor Thunderbird due to stability issues.  Evolution
> was
> at the time simply too slow (I have a huge number of nested IMAP
> folders
> with a huge number of messages), and had too many important bugs
> related
> to both stability and usability that no-one was willing to fix.  I
> haven't used it since (it has been a few years), so maybe that has
> changed since then.  I just did a quick tour again just now, and it
> doesn't look like much has changed.  It took over 45 seconds to load a
> single small ascii-only message buried in a large IMAP folder, and
> four
> minutes for the frozen Evolution main window to disappear after I did
> File->Quit.

Interesting. I use evolution as my main mail client and it does a
fairly good job for me. Looks like it should be improving further in
the next version ( gnome 2.22 - I believe the next version of Indiana
will have this):

http://blogs.gnome.org/sragavan/2008/03/11/evolution-222-released/

Maybe they fixed your issues.

Anyway, the main point I was trying to make was that we should choose
one OR the other. There is a huge functional overlap between the two
programs. It's not very user-friendly pushing both.

-Mark