* Jerry Rocteur ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get familiar with IPS, quite annoying when what exists works so
> well..
>
> Anyway.. If I want to find openoffice or sudo, at the moment I do:
>
> pkg-get -a|egrep sudo
>                 sudo 1.6.9p8,REV=2007.11.02
>          sudo_common 1.6.9p8,REV=2007.11.05
>            sudo_ldap 1.6.9p8,REV=2007.11.02
>
> OR
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ pkg-get -a|egrep openoffice
>       openofficeafza           2.2.1
>       [...]
>
> OR
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ pkg-get -a|egrep findutils
>            findutils 4.2.30,REV=2007.03.19
>
> etc. etc.
>
> But ...
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ pkg search findutils
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ pkg search openoffice
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ pkg search sudo

what this is telling you is that those packages are not installed on
your system.  Search without the -r parameter only checks what's
installed on the system.  With the -r parameter it queries what's
available in the network repository.

Now, in the event that you have installed those packages (via blastwave)
then pkg won't know about them since it doesn't keep track of svr4
style packages.  Once blastwave converts to IPS (which I believe they
are working on) then pkg should know about any packages installed from
blastwave (because you'll likely have to use pkg to install them).

Cheers,

Glenn