Would it be possible for an upgrade not to rename to the new
nomenclature, but a clean install would? With more and more
configuration being moved into dladm, it also seems its getting easier
to create an auto-migration facility for the nomenclature?

Also, having generic names would make it much easier to replace a NIC
with one of a different chipset without changing all of the
configurations. So +1 for net0, etc. being the default.

-J