The "Release Notes for the OpenSolaris 2008.05 Release" says that:

# 1069 Install Causes Panics on Intel 965 With GM965 Chipset

Just want to report that I have a pair of Lenovo R61i notebooks (with Intel
GM965 chipset).  I do not have video problem when installing Indiana RC2a.  In
fact, I have been running S10, SXDE and SXCE on these machines for quite
sometime, never have had any video related problem.  (Actually, I had "major"
video-related problems with Ubuntu, and a relatively minor problem with SuSE,
but never with Solaris or Solaris Express.)

Anyone having different experiences?  Thanks.

Also thanks for an excellent write-up to solve the problem if one is
encountered.