> >> This has been a restriction for me as well, and I
> have had to
> >> constantly shuffle disks in and out of my laptop.
> I filed [RFE]
> >> 1223 as a result and you may want to add yourself
> to it. It is
> >> planned for a future release and with enough
> interest and need,
> >> maybe it can make into the next one.
> >>
> >> Steffen
> >
> > Thanks for taking the action.  (How do I second an
> RFE?)
> >
> > As it stands now, Indiana appears to be the only OS
> in the entire
> > universe (at least the part that I am interested
> in) that does not
> > multi-boot with (other) Solaris.  This problem
> actually is more
> > serious than it sounds as each Solaris partition of
> ours actually
> > consists of at least three Solaris slices (S10,
> SXCE, SXDE), their
> > respectively associated home directories, and a
> Blastwave slice.
> > Re-installing/restoring them is a nightmare that I
> am not going to
> > even think about.
> >
> > However, I do understand that the main emphasis of
> Indiana right now
> > is to come out with a LiveCD that will showcase the
> prowess of
> > Solaris (& Sun) in the x86 world.  I guess we
> should wait.  :-( --
> >

> Right, it's aimed more at people who aren't already
> running some version
> of OpenSolaris.
>
> That said, it is possible to get Indiana into a
> partition with another
> version of Solaris, as I've helped an internal person
> who I anticipate
> will be writing it up on his blog any day now.  The
> basic idea is to
> install to some other disk, use zfs send/recv to get
> it into a pool in
> the shared partition, then update the GRUB menu
> manually.  I don't
> recall offhand if there were any other details
> required, but that's the
> basic outline.
>
> Dave
> iscuss

Yasuhiro Fujitsuki has a simple instruction on how to dual-boot b/t Indiana and
other Solaris partition:

http://blogs.sun.com/thaniwa/entry/ja_dualboot_of_nevada_indiana

The trick is to change the partition number of the existing Solaris partition
to something else.  Then, after the installation of Indiana, change it back to
0xbf.

But this still does not allow you to dual-boot Solaris with Indiana.  You need
to add the "makeactive" step in the chainloader statement.  E.g., if you are
booting from Solaris Express, then your chainloader to Indiana will look like
this:

/boot/gurb/menu.lst

. . .

title Switch to OpenSolaris(Indiana) Grub Menu
  root (hd0,3)
  makeactive
  chainloader +1

. . .

And if you are booting from Indiana, then your chainloader will look like this:

/rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst

. . .

title Switch to Solaris Express(Nevada) Grub Menu
  root (hd0,1)
  makeactive
  chainloader +1

. . .

Thanks a whole lot for taking time to write this blog.