Next problem. I used gparted to repartition the disk. I resized the Windows partition to 78 GB and removed the Solaris partition that I don't need.

When I reboot and look at disk management in Windows, it shows partition has 78 GB in disk view, but also shows only 20 GB in partition. What step did I miss? Why is Windows not seeing the extra space?

Barbara

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Thanks - I do need to repartition. I put alot of space in the Solaris partition. Need to move some to the Windows partition, to use VirutalBox from Windows.
Barbara

Dave Miner wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Question from OpenSolaris in VirtualBox newbie...

Acer Ferrari laptop with dualboot setup with Windows XP and OpenSolaris. I only have 1.47 GB left that's not already allocated for Windows XP and the OpenSolaris partition.

I have successfully installed VirtualBox in my Windows partition and I can use the OpenSolaris 2008.05 Live CD in the Virtualbox in Windows. The box has 1688 MB base memory.

But, when I try to install from the Live CD, it says I don't have room. I only have 1 GB available. I need 3 GB minimum.

Where is it that I need to add space from in order to make 3 GB, in the virtualbox in Windows? Do I just need to create a virtualbox with 3 GB assigned to it? Will virtualbox use 3 GB from the Windows allocated space? Or, is this really "virtual" or not physical space?

Or, is the problem that I only have 1.46 GB on the laptop that's not allocated to Windows partition or the Solaris partition?

You need to expand the size of the virtual machine's virtual disk, which comes out of the Windows file system. Probably the easiest thing to do given where you're at is to destroy the machine and re-create it, this time selecting at least 3 GB for the virtual machine's disk. If you don't have enough space to do that, then you need to start repartitioning.

Dave