Rob McMahon wrote:
> Evan Layton wrote:
>> Can you set BE_PRINT_ERR to see if we can get a bit more information
>> on what going on here? (export BE_PRINT_ERR=true)
>> It would also be helpful to see what "zpool status" shows as well as
>> what's in menu.lst
>>

>  > env BE_PRINT_ERR=true beadm activate opensolaris-7
> set_bootfs: failed to set bootfs property for pool rpool: property
> 'bootfs' not supported on EFI labeled devices
> be_activate: failed to set bootfs pool property for rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-7
> beadm: Unable to activate opensolaris-7
>  >

> Ah-ha.  I remember something about this.  But why was it supported up
> until 94, but no longer in 95 ?  What was the change ?  I certainly
> haven't been round relabeling any disks, and it's been working fine up
> until now.

EFI labels have never been supported for root pools so something has
definitely changed either in ZFS or your pool. Either something has
relabeled one of your disks to EFI or the checking in ZFS has recently
become more restrictive. Hopefully someone on zfs-discuss will have some
idea why this would suddenly be showing up.

>  > zpool status
>   pool: rpool
>  state: ONLINE
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>     NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>     rpool         ONLINE       0     0     0
>       mirror      ONLINE       0     0     0
>         c5t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>         c5t1d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>  >

> Looks happy enough.  Can I detach half the mirror, re-label, re-attach,
> resilver, and repeat ?  Or will this restriction be removed in the near
> future ?  This is my desktop machine, so it's not the end of the world
> if I trash it, but I'd rather not, and I'd also rather keep looking at
> new updates.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob

I would follow the instructions Dan Price sent out last week:

If you want to remove an EFI labelled disk from your root pool, my advice
to you would be to do the following.  Note that I have not tested this
particular sequence, but I think it will work.  Hah.

0) Backup your data and settings.

1) 'zpool detach' the EFI labelled disk from your pool.  After you do this
    YOU MUST NOT REBOOT.  Your system is now in a fragile state.

2) Run 'zpool status' to ensure that your pool now has one disk.

3) Edit /etc/boot/solaris/filelist.ramdisk.  Remove the only line in the
    file:

        etc/zfs/zpool.cache

4) Delete /platform/i86pc/boot_archive and /platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive

5) Run 'bootadm update-archive' -- This rebuilds the boot archive,
    omitting the zpool.cache file.

It may also be necessary to do installgrub at this point.  Probably, and
it wouldn't hurt.

6) Reboot your system, to ensure that you have a working configuration.

I hope this helps...

-evan