On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 8:53 AM, chenlu chen - Sun Microsystems -
Beijing China <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Aubrey,
>
> This is because the device id of 0x10be is changed to 0x10f5 since e1000g
> Ver 5.2.8 (CR6687947.).
> So this is not a bug of e1000g.
>
> Because of some reasons Intel has decided to retire id 10be entirely and
> 0x10f5 is the correct one.
> But some systems did go out into the world with the 10be device id.
> E1000g driver since 5.2.8 will not work on this chip 0x10be.
> As Intel's suggestion, the right thing to do is upgrading the NVM image.
>
> Milan,
> Thank you for forwarding this mail.
>
> Thanks
> Chenlu

That is probably not the right way.
That means network will be missed on some systems.
You know, on ACPI related work, we are keeping fix weird
BIOS bug to make solaris work on the more platforms. I guess it's not
difficult for e1000 driver to support this device id, right? I
personally strongly
suggest e1000 driver support this device id, otherwise I have to buy a new
network card, :-)  You know, updating NVM image is painful for the common
users.

Thanks,
-Aubrey