Subject: Re: [indiana-discuss] REVIEW installation docs 1st batch for 2008.11
Date:   Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:38:09 -0500
From:   Brian Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Indiana Discuss <indiana-discuss@opensolaris.org>

Barbara:

Wouldn't it be good to reference the GNOME Accessibility setup guide
for users who need to further setup their system to enable
accessibility?  You can find it by running "yelp" and it is on the
main page as "GNOME Desktop Accessibility Guide".  The "GNOME
Desktop System Administration Guide" and "Desktop User Guide" are
also good initial references to point a user to read for further
information.

The "New Features in OpenSolaris 2008.11" seems a little light.

One problem that I have had is that I partition my system to have
both Windows and OpenSolaris.  I needed to reinstall Windows and
this made my GRUB bootloader get lost and my machine would just
boot into Windows.  To fix this, I needed to recover Grub with
the following commands:

1. Boot the installation CD again, and when it gets to the GRUB
   menu, type "c" to enter command mode.
2. Run the GRUB command "rootnoverify (hd0,#)" where # is the drive
   partition number of OpenSolaris (0 for the 1st partition, etc.)
3. Run the GRUB command "makeactive"
4. Run the GRUB command "chainloader +1"
5. Run the GRUB command "boot"

That might be handy to mention as troubleshooting information.
Especially since the GRUB commands to restore on Linux are a bit
different.

Brian

Please review the 1st batch of installation documentation for the 2008.11 release ASAP this week.
1) Getting Started With OpenSolaris 2008.11 at
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/caiman/files/getstart.pdf

Changes in Getting Started With OpenSolaris 2008.11:
- Please check blog links to see if any are outdated.
- I added a New Features section with Auto Install and Distro Constructor descriptions. - I moved the Upgrade section into this book.
- The IPS sections are moved to a separate book that will be reviewed
next week.
- The Snap Upgrade section was moved to a separate book per below.
- Rearranged some sections and rewrote for clarity.
- Basic installation procedures are largely unchanged.
- Some of the doc cross-references still point to 2008.05 docs.

2) Managing Multiple Boot Environments in OpenSolaris 2008.11 at
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/caiman/files/snapupgrade.pdf

Changes in Managing Multiple Boot Environments in OpenSolaris 2008.11:
- This is the former Snap Upgrade chapter with new section
added for zones support. - Upgrade section was moved out of here and into the
Getting Started Guide.
- Minimal changes except for new zones support section.

Review docs for Auto Installer and Distro Constructor
will be routed for review later this week.

Barbara