On 18-Nov-08, at 2:03 PM, Shawn Walker wrote:

> John Sonnenschein wrote:

>>> The reality is, even with source code, or automatically building
>>> something, there's no practical way to guarantee that a program is
>>> not malicious (unintentionally or not).
>>>
>>> Specifically, I sincerely doubt that every single contributed
>>> package is going to have every single line of source code checked
>>> to verify that something malicious wasn't introduced.
>>>
>>> I agree that it can reduce the risk, but it does not eliminate it.
>> Even if it doesn't eliminate it it serves as a big disincentive to
>> do anything by virtue that it's not easily hidden, it's the same
>> reason supermarkets put up cameras to prevent shoplifting, in
>> reality it does very little but it leaves evidence behind which in
>> and of itself stops some people.
>
> I just wanted to point out that I think this particular point of
> contention isn't important.
>
> I thought all of this was already covered by votes needed to approve
> something and the condition of supplying the source code.

I thought so too, but then I checked the updated link about the
pending repo and it looked like the opposite of everything we agreed
on the other day

> I would rather assume most contributors are not malicious
> (unintentionally or otherwise) and deal with it that way then treat
> everyone with distrust.

Trust is earned. A healthy amount of distrust is fine IMO. I also lock
my door when I leave the house, even though I mostly trust everyone in
my apartment building.

-JohnS