Hi, Dick!

dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:17:19 +1000
> Che Kristo <c...@opensolaris.org> wrote:
>

>> This is great! also there Bordeaux's suppoted Wine:
>> http://www.bordeauxgroup.com/
>>

> But people tend to have the windws programs already when they want to
> use wine, crossover, bordeaux. So, why should one use this, if the same
> can be achieved by using the -FREE- VirtualBox package with a windows
> xVM. It can't be license issues, because like I said on top, people
> tend to have windows (programs) already. So, what's the big advantage
> of wine over VirtualBox. I know i.e. my windows programs run a lot
> better in a xVM than they do under wine
One thing I tried in CrossOver (not on Solaris, but on Ubuntu - the
DirectX support isn't there on Solaris yet) was to run World of
Warcraft... and when you enter the city of Ironforge, it's very obvious
that World of Warcraft in CrossOver on Ubuntu is MUCH FASTER than same
World of Warcraft on Windows XP on the exact same hardware (my Toshiba
Tecra M2).

So it depends on your hardware. On my home machine which has a 3.3 GHz
quad core Xeon (runs 8 threads) and lots of RAM, VirtualBox is almost as
fast as on bare metal with all the hardware virtualization options
enabled... but not on a smaller machine.

Gilles.

--
                *Gilles Gravier, CISSP
*Government Industry Solutions Architect

<mailto:gilles.grav...@sun.com>
Voice :
        +41 (22) 999 9051
Mobile :
        +41 (79) 472 8437
Fax :
        +41 (860) 79 472 8437
E-mail :
        gilles.grav...@sun.com <mailto:gilles.grav...@sun.com>

                *Sun Microsystems*
12 route des Avouillons
CH-1196 Gland
Switzerland

http://www.sun.com/opensource/

SunIM :         ggrav...@sun.com <http://im-amer.sun.com/>
ICQ :
        77488526 <http://www.icq.com/whitepages/about_me.php?Uin=77488526>
AIM :
        gillesgravier <aim:goim?screenname=gillesgravier>
Y! :
        ggravier <http://profiles.yahoo.com/ggravier>
Jabber :
        ggrav...@jabber.org/Gaim <http://www.jabber.org/>
Skype :
        ggravier <callto://ggravier>
MSN :
        gil...@gravier.org <http://members.msn.com/gil...@gravier.org>
Google :
        gilles.grav...@gmail.com <mailto://gilles.grav...@gmail.com>

Sent from a laptop running OpenSolaris 2009.06 snv_111b
<http://www.opensolaris.org/> using Mozilla Thunderbird
<http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/> (v2.0.0.21)