Dear All,
Considering all the serious discussions going on so far on various
identities, use of family names, I am so happy to realize how this
group is slowly maturing. People are discussing technical terms, use
of correct family names, below species ranks and nomenclature- things
which only the trained plant taxonomists bothered with.
Owing to this I feel the need to talk about more use of standard
floras and monographs which i had talked of in the past. Relying only
on handbooks, which are generally region specific and can have only a
limited number of species and descriptions as compared to our vast
diversity of flora, is good for beginners. But at this stage, the
serious ones on this group - and there are many- should devote time to
library and referencing work- not from a single book (as it is not
possible) but from various standard references and then form their
opinion on identity of a species. In many cases the taxonomic
literature is also influenced by varied opinions of the taxonomists
and it is actually fun to read how some plant species have baffled
generations of plantwatchers.
: )
Aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve

Asha Appt, Shanti Nagar, Ekata Colony
Nr. BSNL tower, Akbar Ward,
Seoni.480661
tel: 07692-228115
mobile: (0)9755667710 and 9822597288 still works