Dear friends
After discussions in the moderator group it has been decided to convert
family weeks  into family fortnight, starting from 1st of every month,
instead of Monday. This should give more time to members who can't
participate so actively in weekly formats.
      As announced earlier our next three episodes will cover family
Asteraceae, obviously one of the very diverse and widely distributed family
in all climates. Forgetting about the complicated classification of the
family, it has been decided to make the division as simple as possible. The
first episode in the month of May will cover members with radiate heads:
those having both ray florets and disc florets. For those not botanically
oriented, the episode will include members in which petal like structures
are found on periphery and disc in the center, like we have in sun flower.
The second episode in June would cover members with only disc florets (no
petal like structures on periphery) like we have in Ageratum and third in
July will cover members with only ray florets (no disc in center) like we
have in Sonchus.
    There is bound to be some overlapping, as some genera have more than
one type of heads, but we will go by majority, and be also prepared for
overlapping in different episodes. We will list the genera before the start
of every episode.

I AM HAPPY TO INFORM THAT DR NIDHAN SINGH HAS AGREED TO COORDINATE THE JULY
EPISODE. MORE VOLUNTEERS PLEASE!!!

Members are requested to participate in these episodes, which are mainly
aimed at identification of plants, as also having a relook at our database.
I wish every member would have photographs of this family, and should
participate.
PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO NUMBER YOUR UPLOADS SERIALLY DURING THESE EPISODES
TO HELP US IN TABULATION

Please give subject line in May episode as "Asteraceae Week Part I-Radiate
heads:...............(plant name/unique code) from............... (place)
.....(add for ID for unknown photographs)-........(your serial number)"

Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://www.gurcharanfamily.com/
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/