Yes that is the irony of common names.
Every one in hilly areas of Punjab, Jammu, Himachal Pradesh and other parts
of NW  Himalayas is so familiar with citrus fruit GALGAL, oblong yellow
fruit extensively used in pickle making. It is botanically Citrus
pseudolimon, hill limon or Kumaon limon

http://www.fruitipedia.com/galgal.htm

But not so with our published literature. I have with me Useful Plants of
India, published by CSIR in 1986
It has Galgal as Hindi name for Cochlospermum religiosum, as mentioned by
Kulkarni ji, also known as kumbi or ganer, and if we go by English names,
It is known as Silk Cotton Tree,, a name belonging to Bombax ceiba more
commonly.

In UP Galgala is name of a grass Eragrostis pilosa.

Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://www.gurcharanfamily.com/
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Makarand Kulkarni <mack.btr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Common names can be confusing as there are so many dialects spoken in
> India... In Maharashtra Galgal or Ganer is called for another evergreen
> tree of Cochlospermum religiosum/C.gossypium..... So Botanical Pundits pl
> id the scientific name of the Citrus fruit/plant.
> *makrndkaka*
> *.................................................................*
> *Love Nature*
>

> On 21 April 2013 19:41, Aarti S. Khale <aarti.kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Promila ji,
>> Thanks for the id.
>> What would be the botanical name?
>> Regards,
>> Aarti
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Promila Chaturvedi <
>> thegardener.chaturv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like galgal.
>>> Promila

>>  --