From: nmk....@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 17:55:41 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:156128] Re: Pisonia alba flowering in Mumbai
To: swamy.c...@gmail.com
CC: indiantreepix@googlegroups.com

I have never seen this tree flowering although very common. Thanks for sharing
the flowers.

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Mahadeswara <swamy.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Viplav ji for posting the flowers of  P.alba.    Yes, it is very rare.
 This plant is very very common in Chennai also, rather very popular shrub / a
small tree.   Most commonly used for hedges (live fence) alternatively with
red Acalypha, which gives a stunning effect to the onlookers.    I have never
seen it in flowering, though I was very keenly observing the plant in around
Chennai for more than 20 years !   Though I knew that it would flower,  I was
not fortunate enough to see the plant in flowering in Chennai.  Let me try out
now in Mysore city.

It is called sule sappu in Kannada and lachaikottei in Tamil.
The leaves are used for cooking  in Chennai. The leaves have medicinal
properties too (elephantiasis).