Thank you Sundararaman ji for the information.

regards,

Rashida.

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 06:22:31 +0000
To: rashidaatt...@hotmail.com
Subject: [indiantreepix:21180] Re: Thespesia populnea
From: m_sundarara...@rediffmail.com
CC: vijayad...@gmail.com; dinesh.va...@gmail.com; indiantreepix@googlegroups.com

My dear Friends,
Thanks for the information furnished.My Hobby is "Picking Seeds on the
Roadside".I pick lots of this Thespesia Populnea seeds and supply to whosoever
wants the same.They are a very sturdy Tree in my opinion .This is called
"Poorman's Teak"in Tamil Nadu
Anybody who wants seeds can contact me 044--24461660.Thanks M.SUNDARARAMAN

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:30:51 +0530 wrote

Thank you Dinesh ji and Vijadas ji for the various names and synonyms.

Dinseh ji the leaves resemble Pipal but I did not know they are used for food
untill I read it in Trees of Mumbai! You have listed so many interesting names.
It is really a beautiful tree, but most of the time we take this tree for
granted in Mumbai !

regards,

Rashida.

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:27:36 +0300
>Subject: [indiantreepix:21121] Re: Thespesia populnea
>From: vijayad...@gmail.com
>To: dinesh.va...@gmail.com
>CC: rashidaatt...@hotmail.com; indiantreepix@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

In malayalam it is known as cheelanthi

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Dinesh Valke wrote:

... commonly known as: aden apple, bhendi tree, cork tree, Indian tulip tree,
John-Bull tree, king of flowers, large-leaved tulip tree, mangrove, milo (in
Hawaii), Pacific rosewood, portia tree, seaside mahoe (in Florida), umbrella
tree • Bengali: gajashundi, palaspipal, poresh • Gujarati: પારસ પિપળૉ paras
piplo • Hindi: bhendi, gajadanda, पारस पीपल paras-pipal • Kannada: arasi,
bangali • Malayalam: ചിലാന്തി cilaanthi, പൃപ്പരുത്തി prapparuththi, പൃവരശ്
pravaras • Marathi: आष्ट aashta, आस aas, पारस भेंडी paras-bhendi, पारोसा पिंपळ
parosa pimpal, पार्श्वपिंपळ parshvapimpal, पिंपरणी pimparani, पिंपरी pimpari •
Sanskrit: पार्श्वपिप्पल parshwapippal • Tamil: பூவரசு puvarasu • Telugu:
గంగరావి gangaravi

Most of the common names in Indian languages are closely related to (or even
share names of) peepal ... very likely because the leaves of this tree resemble
in some manner to that of peepal.
... while it is easy to find this tree commonly in my vicinity, I am yet to
meet its look-alike Hibiscus tileaceus.

Regards.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:31 PM, rashida atthar wrote:

This is a very common tree of Mumbai with changing flower colour from lemon
yellow to deep purple red within 24 hours. Pics taken in the last two days. The
book 'Trees of Mumbai' has some interesting information and I quote pg:159 "
..The flowers turn yellow to purple in 24 hours due to oxidation of the yellow
anthocyanins present in the petals." Further the authors state: "The bark
yields good fibre. All parts of the tree are used by locals for medicine. The
leaves are applied as poultice to swelling and abscess. They are also used for
wrapping food. The deep red, thick oil produced from the seeds is known as
'huile amere'."

regards,
Rashida.

From the happening headlines to the juiciest gossip, get your daily update on
MSN India Drag n' drop

>--
>VijayadasD
>Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy
>Electro Saudi Services Ltd
>Salwa Garden Village
>Riyadh-11462,PBNO-7210
>KSA
>vijayadas.wetpaint.com
>
>Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

M. Sundararaman Tel# 044--24461660;SINDHUR SEA PRINCESS
9 Coastal Road ., BESANT NAGAR; CHENNAI 600090
Until the last tree is cut;
Until the last river is dry;
Until the last fish is caught;
Until the last animal is killed;
Man willnot realise that he cannot eat money
Founder Trustee of NIZHAL,anNGO ofChennai
SeedEXNORA Senator

</Table