From: Nambiyath Balakrishnan <npbal...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:174760] Euphorbiaceae fortnight::Euphorbia
helioscopia from Kargil (NSJ-01)
To: Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>

Dear Gurcharan ji,
I think you are right. The plant looks perennial. In that case the next
possibility is *Euphorbia thomsoniana* Boiss., which occurs in JK at 2000
to 4200 m alt. The description in "The genus Euphorbia L. (Euphorbiaceae)
in India by M.S.Binojkumar & N.P.Balakrishnan, indicated that it is
perennial and further "stems many from a thick rootstock, sometime purplish
red, unbranched or rarely branched". The further details of the description
more or applies to the photographs.
Therefore I think it can safely be identified as E. thomsoniana
N. P. Balakrishnan, 14 Nov. 2013