We had also enumerated these trees in a few compartments and also did
sampling elsewhere. An estimate is around 1 lakh trees in a gross area of
4000ha and net area of 1100ha in the three valleys. It is locally called
Tangsinh (Tansen) in Bhotia dialect in Byans valley. In Sumdum, it is
called 'Paathri'.
The nearest tree one can see is below the road between Himkhola and Narayan
ashram.  In Choudans area of Kali valley, dense pure patches and intermixed
with Kail (Pinus wallichiana), and Khursu(Quercus semecarpifolia) can be
seen in forests above Himkhola, Sosa Van Panchayat, Payang Van Panchayat
behind Narayan ashram, on Rungling-Kharangdhang forest path. One can also
see pure patches on Himkhola- Kharangdhang path along Jyotigad. Hiragomri,
Jyotigad and Rungling Reserved Forests have several such patches.
In Darma valley, one can see it across the river near village Sumdum where
it is intermixed with Taxus and Abies spectabilis.
The upper portion near the ridges of Dug and Sobala Reserved Forests also
have pure forests of this species.
In Gori valley, it is found in the tributary valleys of Jimba and Kulka
valley and also in the upper reaches of Golpha Reserve Forests and Golpha
Van Panchayat.
Across the Kali, it is found in the forests of Rapla and Sunsyara in
Darchula district of Mahakali anchal in Nepal.
Forest fires not common at these cold heights, these trees are not fire
hardy. The Tsuga forests were damaged in the widespread forest fires in mid
1990s, the remnants of which can still be seen as dead standing trees.
However, currently, the regeneration is very good as we can see several
saplings in the forests and also along the stream banks. The tree is a very
good timber due to its strength, length of straight bole and a good
diameter. The population structure hence consists of young saplings and
very old trees. Middle aged trees are rare. The fallen trees are used by
the villagers, however, most trees are left untouched due to inaccessible
nature of most of the sites. The bark and wood chips are also used to make
a local tea as is also done with Taxus. The tallest tree recorded was 44m
high and 4m in girth at Sobala compartment no.8. 90% of the Tsuga forests
are protected as it is part of the Askot Wildlife Sanctuary.
Why the tree species has not been able to cross Gori Ganga  and not even a
single tree is present south of the Gori ganga river, even in similar
habitat is yet a mystery.
A few trees are planted in Lohaghat research nursery where it has not
gained girth or form as in its natural range, but has started to produce
cones regularly.