That's wonderful write up, Ritesh ji.

On 25 April 2014 10:23, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary <ritesh....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Family of the fortnight: POLYGONACEAE

> (Mabberley, 2008) from the world and mostly distributed in north temperate
> regions.
>
> Two subfamilies Polygonoideae and Eriogonoideae are universally accepted
> based on the presence or absence of the ochrea (sometimes rudimentary in
> Eriogonoideae).
>

> All Indian genera belong to Polygonoideae, a subfamily of almost 790
> species defined by the presence of ocreae, a monopodial branching pattern,
> and lack of involucre.
>
> The Eriogonoideae (ca. 330 species) are found only in the New World. (Li
> Anjen et al., 2003).

> herbs, shrubs or trees. The leaves are simple, alternate, seldom opposite
> or whorled, usually entire and revolute, usually in spirals, petiolate to
> sessile.
>
> The presence of ochrea is the most distinguishing feature, but in the
> subfamily Eriogonoideae, it is either absent or reduced in size.
>
> Variation can be seen in the axillary or terminal inflorescence which is
> composed of simple or branched thyrsi panicle-, raceme- or spike-like in
> appearance which however, are formed of dichasia or helicoid cymes.
>
> The flowers are small, trimerous, hermaphrodite or unisexual with tepals
> 2-6, forming two whorls of 3 elements or one whorl of 5 elements with
> characteristic quincuncial aestivation.
>
> The number of stamens ranges from 2 to 9 or rarely more whereas the pollen
> character varies from tricolporate to pantoporate. The ovary is superior
> 2-4 carpellate (generally 3-carpellate) and unilocular whereas the fruits
> are an achene which is trigonous or lenticular.
>

> Taxonomic treatments:
>
> Recently, Sanchez et al. (2011) proposed a new taxonomic classification
> for Polygonoideae based on molecular data that includes five tribes:
> Calligoneae, Fagopyreae, Persicarieae, Polygoneae, and Rumiceae.
>
> Polygonum s.l. is the largest genus in Polygonaceae and a member of the
> core eudicots in the flowering plants (Judd et al. 2002).  It is
> represented by about 230 species in the world and distributed mostly in N
> temperate regions (Li Anjen et al, 2003). The genus (commonly known as
> Knotweeds) has long been a taxonomic puzzle and is widely debated.
>
> The traditional method of classification has led to disagreement among
> taxonomists with regard to which species should be included in the genus
> *Polygonum
> *and which taxa should be elevated to their own genus due to the presence
> of at least one distinguishing characteristic. (Meisner, 1826, 1856, 1857;
> Bentham & Hooker, 1880; Dammer, 1892; Gross, 1913 a, 1913b; Jaretzky, 1925;
> Hedberg, 1946; Roberty & Vautier, 1964; Graham & Wood, 1965; Holub, 1971;
> Sojak, 1974; Haraldson, 1978; Tzvelev, 1987; Ronse Decraene & Akeroyd,
> 1988; Hassan, 1991, 1997; Hassan & Khan, 1992; Hong et al, 1998; Ronse
> Decraene et al., 2000).

> [...]

'Creating awareness of Indian Flora &
Fauna'<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1>
The whole world uses my Image
Resource<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg> of
more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies,
Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them
for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google
e-group<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/indiantreepix>
(largest
in the world- around 2300 members & 1,85,250 messages on 28/2/14) or
Efloraofindia
database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS
Sparrow Awards 2014 for
efloraofindia<https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/award-for-efloraofindia>
.

India'.