Hallo all,

Can we start reporting about the flowering time of plants on this group.
there are already some messages which report flowering of trees and other
plants however, as a full blown topic we can start this. i think while
reporting the flowering time or month we should also try to mention the
temperature, chill or warmth in air, moisture conditions, soil (whether wet
or dry) and other environmental conditions in Indian context which are hard
to find for a tree on internet as the info is available for other countries
and nothing else is mentioned except that the tree is in flowering.
why the environmental conditions are needed ? recently i was on a trip to
Bihar and i noticed that when a particular tree was in flowering there, it
would also flower here at Chandigarh after it flowers in Bihar. reason being
the difference in onset of a season like chill or warmth and also the
rains....so if one is trying to record flowering etc. in his or her place of
stay for plant species in his or her area the difference can be taken as cue
to flowering pattern whether its been missed or can be awaited.
Moreover as botanist (trained or amateur) we can not define the conditions
in technical terms or with accuracy and words as the Met Dept does so we can
define/explain the conditions in our own way....

What is your opinion...

Alok