I guess that the fruit is very sour (from the person's reaction in the
picture). I too think it is *Spondias pinnata *of Mango family. Fruits used
as condiment (in place of tamarind) and are relished by deers too. Even the
leaf characters suggesting the id.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:18 AM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oks Sir I think i am wrong. Pls excuse me
> tanay
>

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>  Some differences between spondias pinnata and the tree being asked for
>> identification
>>
>> Bark differ - Smooth (spondias pinnata), rough ( tree posted )
>> Fruits differ- egg shape, ovate (Spondias pinnata), round smooth (tree
>> posted). I think the size, color and taste differ
>>
>> Leaflet pattern matches (5 pairs with terminals)
>>
>> Sorry for posting photographs with minimum clues.  It was evening then
>> and we decided to make our way back for darkness would descend upon the
>> place soon and we had no desire to meet a marauding elephant herd.  So we
>> hurried back as fast as our legs could carry us !
>>
>> Regards
>> Raghu
>>
>>  *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>>  ***
>> *

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.