      From: D.S Rawat <drdsrawat.alpin...@gmail.com>
 To: efloraofindia <indiantreepix@googlegroups.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, 1 March 2017, 9:26
 Subject: [efloraofindia:264744] Re: Arenaria thangoensis (Caryophyllaceae)
rediscovered: June 2016_DSR_1/1

Flora of Bhutan havetaken a broad circumscription of A. littledaleigiving no
consideration to merosity of flowers (sepals-5 in A.pharensis while sepals 4 in
A.littledalei) considering it as avariation; thus merging these species into
A.littledalei. It is very similar to the case of Cotoneaster genus where Fryer
consider up to 400 species worldwidewhile broader circumscription gives 50-70
species in world. (Pl. See note inFlora of Nepal at-
http://www.floraofnepal.org/page/onlineflora?wildcard=1051).All these species
mentioned by you (A.pharensis(=Goringia pharensis), A.littledalei, and few
others from China like A.reducta, A. saginoidesetc are closely related to each
other and belong to subgenus Odontostemma section ‘Reductae’ (mentioned in some
Chineseworks). These species are included and differentiated in Floraof
China.Arenaria thangoensis is now known as Odontostemma thangoensis (pl. See
http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSearch.do?id=77155319-1&output_format=lsid-metadata&show_history=true)after
 a recent splitting of Arenariagenus following the molecular studies.
 A.thangoensis is close to A.pharensis (a 5-sepal species) but differ from it
by one line of hairs onstem (2 in A.pharensis), leavesbiconvex, succulent,
obovate to oblanceolate (linear to linear lanceolate in A.pharensis), 2-5
stamens (2-3 in A.pharensis). However, these charactersare not very convincing
and a revision of this Sino-Himalayan group of Arenaria is needed. It is
worthmentioning here that no species of this group (baring A.thangoensis
recorded by us) are known from Indian westernHimalaya.Finally, the
typespecimens (Holo and iso) collected by Smith and Cave in 1909 are in
CentralNational Herbarium, Howrah (CAL) and DD and were examined by me
personally tocompare our specimen.  Arenaria s.l. has beensplitted to may
genera recently. We now have Arenaria s.str., Odontostemma,
Shivparvatia(=Solitaria) and Eremogone. DSRawat Pantnagar