From: Lalithamba Avadhanam <alalitha...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: Telugu name పొన్న ponna for several plants
To: Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>

Dinesh ji you are great
in pure telugu -PONNA means visible/looks like
In Sanskrit/ sanskritised Tekugu Ponna means a tree -*Calophyllum
inophyllum*;
the plants that grows in salt marshy areas that look like Calophyllum are
known as vuppuponna (Vuppu in telugu=salt)
duddu= thick
Ponnagantikura= leaves look like calophyllum ls but small; they are useful
for eye health hence ponna+ kanti/ganti
they used the word ponna as a sufix to many plants ; there is no perfect
reasoning
So also, but some names are really puzzling for Telugu people also for
their origin, the language/regional dialects change with time,
thank you
regards
A.Lalithamba