Shobha ji
Both Abrus precatorius and Adenanthera pavonina, (as well as Mash bean
(Black gram, Phaseolus mungo), and rice have been used in traditional
weighing system. This is what we learnt since childhood

8 chaval (rice) = 1 rati
8 rati              =1 masha
12 masha       =1 tola

Both Ratti as well as Adenanther pavonina (thus also called carat bean) have
long been used in weighing gold and ornaments, as also for making rosaries.

Incidently word gram also seems to be derived from black gram which weighs
slightly less than 1 gm. Here are exact relationships.

1 carat bean= 4 grains= 0.259 gm

1 tola         = 11.6638125        gm
1 masha    =  0.971984375      gm
1 Rati        =  0.121998046875 gm
1 rice        =  0.0151872559     gm

thus one carat bean seed would be roughly equal to two seeds of rati

Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/