From: Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>
To: Phil James <pjamesm...@gmail.com>
Cc: efloraofindia <indiantreepix@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, 12 May, 2010 8:26:16 PM
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:34656] Pink flower - ID

... my thought: to name a body or thing is to identify with, rather than
without.
That is, we name for the sole reason of identifying the object which has gained
importance to humankind in some way or the other.
Much of the importance lies in relation to human health by way of medicinal
values the flora has to provide, closely following is economical importance of
the plant (or any part of the plant).

This applies to fauna too ... all those creatures whose relation to humans have
some kind of importance are certainly named.

More comments from friends.

Regards.

This is wonderful, giving the local and regional names.