Since originally distinct Bassia latifolia and Bassia longifolia, often
known as Madhuca indica are now treated as two distinct varieties under M.
longifolia, viz. var. latifolia and var. longifolia, respectively, and all
have often been given common local names, it would be interesting to sort
out local names for each. I have few.

           M. longifolia var. latifolia                                   M.
longifolia var. longifolia
Eng:   Mahua:
 South India Mahua
Hindi: Mohwa, mauwa
Tel:    Ippi, Sanna Ippa
 Pedda Ippa
Tam:  Kat Illipi
 Nat Illupai
Kan:
   Ippe

More such different names should be welcome.

Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/