thank you Shrikant i remembered the 7 and 12 year sequence , 12 years
rhythm seems to be spectacular.
for the 12 years  cycle , in 2008 i had planned to visit the hills in
kunnar, but an aunt  developed large cell lymphoma,
that put my trip on hold, this year its two more,  by the time next 12
yearly  flowering comes around i wont be on this earth.
so i am taking great delight in Prashant's journey and pictures. and trying
to figure out if there is even remote chance
next year if even one species is expected to break out  *on one small hill
or plantation.*

hence the question: is there a scientific or near scientific review of the
flowering seasons,  schedules or rhythmicity of
flowering of  strobilanthes.   newspapers in Bengal dont report or print
any stories about strobilanthes, so have not been able to make up a chart
myself.

so my best bet is to ask you.

thanks
usha di

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 7:05 AM, Shrikant Ingalhalikar <
shrikant.ingalhali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Ushadi, Strobilanthes genus is split in new generas in North western
> ghats. In the erstwhile genus there were 12 species. Of these S callosa, S
> sessilis, S reticulatus and S scrobiculatus have been seen to flower every
> 7 years, the flowering years do not overlap though. These species grow in
> pure stands hence it's a  great sight when they defoliate and flower
> together in  abundance. A few of these plants may flower as exception in
> different years.
>  The rest of 8 species flower each year but the flowers are sparse.
> I have no idea about the rest of India. Presently there is great sensation
> about Neelkurunji blooming after 12 years in Nilgiris hence Strobilanthes
> is on the anvil.

Usha di