---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: SWARNENDU MONDAL <mucw...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 at 13:58
Subject: Need information from you only
To: <jmga...@gmail.com>

Dear Sir, I was acknowledged you because I found in your webpage
(efloraofindia)

'It may be mentioned that Nerlekar [in Phytotaxa 213(2): 155-158. 2015]
merged this variety with var. *nana *having found no difference.

However, please look at the publication of Nerlekar (2015) as well as
images of *Jatropha nana *in the EFI webpage.  Here, in the typical
variety, the capsules are broadly oblong while the fruits in var.
*bengalensis *are suglobose.  Hence I am maintaining this as a distinct
variety on this fruit character as well as due to the disjunct distribution
(var. *nana *in Maharashtra and var. *bengalensis *in West Bengal). My
treatment will come out shortly.'

..... on that basis I found interest to communicate you personally, since I
thought its your own opinion. To me still, it should keep in a varietal
status (J.nana var. bengalense) since stipule characters may variable but
we found typical paired stipules having 2-8 filiform branches of 1-11.5 mm
(as compared with the 1-3 processes of upto 10mm length in J. nana var.
nana: A.Nerlekar, 2015).

    We, authors,  after discussion and producing original  specimen along
with its photographs to respected Dr.  T. Chakrabarty(BSI) and his
Teacher,  Dr.N.P. Balakrishnan and perusal of recent literature available
on that Time( The Family Euphorbiaceae in India- A synopsis of its
profile,taxonomy and bibliography, 2007) came to that conclusion to
recognize it as a new variety. Here in this book of Euphorbiaceae,
different species under the genus Jatropha have been keyed-out primarily
on the basis of stipules present or absent (see key in this book
mentioned).

   Additionally we found, the tuberous main root is about 5-35cm  (Mondal
and Rahaman, 2015, New record of J. nana var. bengalense from Jharkhand,
J.Non-Timber Forest Products,22:1) whereas Nerlekar(2015) mentioned that it
is largest of 25cm. Nonetheless the disribution of J. nana var. bengalense,
is LARGELY disjunct from the J.nana var. nana.

  I appreciate the paper of Dr. Nerlekar, its  really a good work. But he
could provide more clear photographs of Stipules and root in his paper,
which are lacking.

   Finally I think, it needs more scientific work to resolve it.

thank you, regards,

SWARNENDU MONDAL
Asst. Professor
Dept. of Botany
Tribal Medicine and Pharmacognosy Lab.
M.U.C Women's College
Burdwan
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-6218-3290

world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia
database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than
2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).

The whole world uses my Image Resource

India'.