It is not Garcinia xanthochymos; because I know the plant very well;the
crown is pyramidal like Polyalthea longifolia tree;  it is most probably
Diospyros malabarica; which is known as tumbika in tamil; one tamil
fisherman showed Diospyros tree as tamala; but actually in Sanskrit it is
Cinnamomum tamala(tej patta tree) In many areas people worship Diospyros
chloroxylon, D.malabarica(Syn.D.peregrina) as an incarnation of Goddess
Parvati(as village deity) The first image clear, the flower is of typical
Diospyros
thank you
A.Lalithamba

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 8:12 PM J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> J. M. Garg
>
> On Fri 3 Apr, 2020, 7:55 PM M Swamy, <swamy.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Garg ji &  Lalithamba madam,
>> Thanks.   In Tamil   it is written as "Tamala maram" the Krishna's
>> favourite tree.  It is a tree planted in front of a temple ( Purandhara
>> temple a Vaishanavaite's temple)  in a town near Tirunelveli. Here in
>> Mysore I consulted an expert taxonomist , who confirmed that the tree is
>> Garcinia xanthochymus only.  I also checked a review paper on  *Garcinia*
>> sps  in Researgate and  matched with G.xanthochymus.   Now I am really
>> confused !
>> Madam, I shall be thankful if you could post the photographs of the
>> Diospyros  planted in A.P temples.  I am curious to know.
>> Regards,
>> m.Swamy
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 5:46 PM lalithamba <alalitha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It is Diospyros species(flower character); in some temples in A.P. also
>>> Diospyros is worshipped; where it is photographed, even the sign board on
>>> the tree is not clear, its tamil name?
>>> A.Lalithamba.

>>> indiantreepix+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/714f9336-f69d-4fc4-8093-fb90c18f070f%40googlegroups.com