Let me attempt a layman's reply. You might have heard about  the Hindi
proverb of hardly anything growing under a banyan tree. This was said for
Jawaharlal. Any large and shady tree will restrict the growth of plants
which need sunlight. So go for houseplant which require little sun and are
shade loving. I hope the purists may not find any fault with it.
ak

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Rakesh Biswas <rakesh7bis...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Do ficus species have allelopathic properties (inhibit growth of others
> saplings and seedlings under/around them)?
>
> Does one need to keep this in mind while planting species like ficus
> virens/infectoria?
>
> Would be grateful for advice around this.
>
> regards,
>
> rakesh

Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blogs has been added on 30 May 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/