From: Rakesh Biswas <rakesh7bis...@gmail.com>
Date: 6 June 2010 09:54
Subject: [efloraofindia:37298] Query: Seeking the scientific names of the
Gondi and Khmer trees in Madhya Pradesh
To: indiantreepix <indiantreepix@googlegroups.com>

Gondi:

The leaves and bark resemble 'Terminalia Bellerica', fruits are brownish
yellow when ripe and ellipsoid (unlike terminalia bellerica) and relished by
birds. Can grow upto 15-20 metres similar to 'Terminalia Bellerica' again.

Called 'Gondi' locally here in Madhya Pradesh.

Khmer:

Again Gondi is definitely not similar looking as Gamhar/Gmelina Arborea
(which in hindi may sound nominally similar as it pertains to gum/glue).
Gamhar I guess is what is called Khmer here locally( but again I am not sure
about the exact id of Khmer and would like to be enlightened by others
especially who are from Madhya Pradesh).  I saw one signboard for the Khmer
tree in Ekant park, Bhopal ( to my mind the best maintained botanical garden
here..I may be wrong) but could not spot the actual tree.

Would be grateful for the Scientific names for Gondi and Khmer from this
discussion if possible.

Again convey my gratitude for identifying "Schima Wallichi" from my
previously posted description and local name.

Apologies for posting something which may seem like very basic questions
(but would be of immense help for slow learners like myself).

regards,

rakesh

Bhopal

J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
Image Resource of more than a thousand species of Birds, Butterflies, Plants
etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise):
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg
For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group- Efloraofindia:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix