Hi,

I hope Pravin Kawale have seen the inter-petiolar stipules of opposite
leaves in the given picture, which is an important/key character for
the family RIBUACEAE. I further think that in M. foetida the
inflorescence is of a terminal panicle.

Regards
Giby




On 19/07/2010, Pravin Kawale <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>  Pl.check for Mappia foetida
> Sending photographs of the same for ref.
> Thanks
>
> On 7/19/10, navendu page <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>        The identity of this plant is now more or less confirmed. It is
>> Vangueria edulis, native to Madagaskar and planted in gardens in Madras
>> presidency (Gamble). Its supposed to have large edible fruits like V.
>> spinosa.
>>
>> navendu
>>
>>
>> On 15 July 2010 10:55, J.M. Garg <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Forwarding again for Id assistance please.
>>>
>>> Some earlier relevant feedback:
>>>
>>> “Hi,
>>>
>>>       I have been trying to id this shrub of family Rubiaceae for quite
>>> some time now. I saw this shrub growing wild in the Bangalore University
>>> campus and was flowering in the month of May. The shrub grows upto 4 m
>>> tall
>>> and has large shiny leaves. I observed about 30 odd individuals growing
>>> gregariously in just a single locality.  I haven't seen the fruits yet.
>>> *The
>>> flowers look very similar to those of Vangueria and Plectronia/ Canthium
>>> types. However it does not match with any of the species described in
>>> Flora
>>> of Bombay or Madras or Karnataka.
>>> *I would be really grateful if someone helps me id this plant. Attaching
>>> a
>>> picture below.
>>> --
>>> Navendu Page”
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: J.M. Garg <[email protected]>
>>> Date: 6 July 2010 11:57
>>> Subject: Re: what is this Rubiaceae
>>> To: navendu page <[email protected]>
>>> Cc: indiantreepix <[email protected]>, tanay bose <
>>> [email protected]>, Vijayasankar Raman <[email protected]>,
>>> Smilax004 <[email protected]>, Shrikant Ingalhalikar <
>>> [email protected]>, Dinesh Valke <[email protected]>,
>>> [email protected], satish pardeshi <[email protected]>
>>>
>>>
>>>  Forwarding for Id assistance please.
>>> Attaching a re-sized image.
>>>
>>>
>>> On 5 July 2010 19:04, navendu page <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>       I have been trying to id this shrub of family Rubiaceae for quite
>>>> some time now. I saw this shrub growing wild in the Bangalore University
>>>> campus and was flowering in the month of May. The shrub grows upto 4 m
>>>> tall
>>>> and has large shiny leaves. I observed about 30 odd individuals growing
>>>> gregariously in just a single locality.  I haven't seen the fruits yet.
>>>> The
>>>> flowers look very similar to those of Vangueria and Plectronia/ Canthium
>>>> types. However it does not match with any of the species described in
>>>> Flora
>>>> of Bombay or Madras or Karnataka.
>>>>
>>>> I would be really grateful if someone helps me id this plant. Attaching
>>>> a
>>>> picture below.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Navendu Page
>>>>
>>>> PhD student
>>>> Center for Ecological Sciences
>>>> Indian Institute of Science
>>>> Bangalore - 560012
>>>> Ph: +91 9611053510
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>  --
>>> With regards,
>>> J.M.Garg ([email protected])
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
>>> 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
>>> Image Resource of more than a thousand species of Birds, Butterflies,
>>> Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise):
>>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg
>>> For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group-
>>> Efloraofindia:
>>> http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> With regards,
>>> J.M.Garg ([email protected])
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
>>> 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
>>> Image Resource of more than a thousand species of Birds, Butterflies,
>>> Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise):
>>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg
>>> For learning about Indian Flora, visit/ join Google e-group-
>>> Efloraofindia:
>>> http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Navendu Page
>>
>> PhD student
>> Kartik Shanker's Lab
>> Center for Ecological Sciences
>> Indian Institute of Science
>> Bangalore - 560012
>> Ph: +91 9611053510
>>
>
>
> --
> Pravin
>


-- 
GIBY KURIAKOSE
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
Royal Enclave,
Jakkur Post, Srirampura
Bangalore- 560064
India
Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
visit my pictures @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby

Reply via email to