The pest in the picture usually stays on shrubs and hibernate in unsuitable
weather conditions. In few years time it succeeds in killing the host. Mosty
it is carried by ants. It infested my hibiscus plant and other hibiscus
plant in the vicinity. Where ever there was sun these pests work hard and
took extra time to kill the plants, in my house where there is no sun four
months in a year the plant died faster. They infest other flowering shrubs
also, I did not notice any non-flowering shrub, so I cannot comment. The
other the biger member of the family Which is also known as mealy bug (as
told by Senior horticulturists of CPWD), have infested large trees on New
Delhi roads and hop from tree to tree, though the trees so far are in good
health. In few societis in Delhi it has infested Muchkund (Pterospermum
acerifolium) trees and starting entering the flats and in their ACs  and
every nook and corner. They are really a nasty pests.
Promila

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Yazdy Palia <yazdypa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Ms. Promila Chaturvedi Ji,
> Am  a lay person and have limited knowledge. The coffee board has come out
> with information with regards to practices to control mealy bugs. In the
> literature distributed from them, I find that mealy bugs are immobile
> sucking pests. I learnt that the best way to control the spread is to
> control the population of ants nests. I was made to understand that there is
> a symbiotic relationship between ants and mealy bugs. The ants move the
> nymphs of mealy bugs and place them in succulent areas of tender shoots.
> Once they are placed in the place, the nymph attaches itself to the
> succulent spot and starts sucking the sap.
> The ants benefit by the honeydew secreted by the mealy bugs and feed on it.
> I have never found any plant in my farm that has mealybugs and no ants. If
> however, you have any new information that contradicts it, am willing to
> study it with an open mind.
> Please guide me to any such link on the net.
> Regards
> Yazdy.
>
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM, promila chaturvedi <
> thegardener.chaturv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mealy bugs, after multiplying  can spread and infest other plants touching
>> the infested plants without any assistance from ants and one of the bug in
>> this family can enter the house and make life miserable.
>> Promila
>>
>>   On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Yazdy Palia <yazdypa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Neil Ji,
>>> Further to our discussion this morning, I have done some research and
>>> have come across the link given below. It says that the larvae of
>>> cryptolaemus (lady bird beetles) look exactly like mealy bugs.
>>> copying the link for reference of all our friends.
>>> http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/product/cryptolaemus
>>> Regards