Sir Shrikant
I had seen and photographed the flowers and pods and the tree itself in at
Thrissur in Kerala last April (2022)when Dolichandrone spathacea was in
flowering/fruiting stage. I carried back some matured pods as well but the
seeds did not germinate here in Goa. Since the tree is recorded in the
mangrove associates list of Goa mangroves, we took it up as a TY BSc
project for this year (2022-2023). at St Joseph Vaz College, Cortalim Goa.

Initially we thought we managed to identify and document many plants along
Mangrove stretches of Zuari river as well as some trees growing as Avenue
trees along the highway on the Verna -Sancoale Plateau awaiting the
flowering season(supposedly every 7 years?) for proper identification, only
to realize that we misidentified Lannea grandis (also a mangrove associate
with similar leaf morphology) as Dolichandrone. the flowering season that
has just started for Lannea made the things clear to us.

So far we have managed to identify and locate ONLY ONE Dolichandrone tree
in our study area due to the presence of dehiscensed pods on the tree. all
other trees initially identified as Dolichandrone have started flowering as
Lannea. If you can provide the location of the tree that you have seen in
Goa, we would be willing to include it in our study. Any
suggestions/information from this esteemed group will be helpful for my
students in their research.

Regards,
Dr. Fr. Bolmax Pereira
Department of Botany,