Thanks a lot, Chris ji.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Chris Fraser-Jenkins
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 at 15:38
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:122576] Flora of Madhya Pradesh: Selaginella sp
from Forest area Narsinghpur (MP)
To: J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com>

This is the very distinctive Selaginella bryopteris.  It is frequently sold
in country bazaars (and in Shillong main street) as being Sanjeevani.
However I published a paper on Sanjeevani saying that the evidence was much
more likely that Sanjeevani was actually S. tamariscina, growing very
rarely, only in Pithoragarh (Tawaghat) near to the ancient Vedic town
there.  Otherwise, as we see, S. bryopteris is common in South and Central
India, so why did Lord Hanuman have to go all the way up to the Himalaya to
collect it, when Laxmana urgently needed help for his severe wounds.  He
could have brought it in 10 minutes from South India, but he had to go all
the way up to Uttarakhand, the only place in India (and a very limited
area) where the resurrection species, S. tamariscina grows.

Also from Chinese medicinal study S. tamariscina contains compounds that
alleviate haemorrhage, which must be relevant!  If only Ramdev ji had just
picked up the Indian Fern Journal and read my paper he could have collected
real Sanjeevani free of charge and without requiring huge Government
grants, from the locality I mentioned.  But thats not what hes about, I
suspect!

Best wishes,
   Chris F.J.

On Sunday, 15 October 2023 at 08:26:31 BST, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com>