Dear Sir
The reference which I used right now uses the word USUALLY and I added
the word COMPULSORILY, because that was obvious.
As for your query, frankly, I am to some extent still on your side
because I still cant imagine what I had seen on Ficus semicordata was
stem only. Because as I said in above post that it was leading to the
base of the main trunk very clearly as it was very thick and almost 30
% of the cylindrical stem or root whatever it was, was above ground.
But the same reference justifies it differently.

But I am still searching more reference to confirm.

My reference was from Trees of Northern Thailand. If you can acquire a
copy of it, then trust me you will be happy to own this. I was gifted
this on one of my birthdays by one of the authors of the book, Dr.
Anusarnsunthorn from Chiang Mai University. One of her students, Dr.
Pranee Palee is one of my very good friends and she illustrated Figs
and Oaks in the book.

http://www.nhbs.com/field_guide_to_forest_trees_of_northern_thailand_tefno_110371.html

Regards
Pankaj

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 1:12 AM, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear pankaj ji...
>
> 'Ficus hispida is known to have opposite leaves USUALLY, not
> COMPULSORILY.... ' None of flora quote this statement.. what ever i have
> seen...
> I also have interest in many things including Ficus... and also working in
> one small forest area on it...
> in many local floras i can show you its written in description and also in
> keys.... that F. hispida (opp. leaves)
>

> young stage mean atleast 1-2 year plant...
>

> Now actually am confused with terminology,,,, because i thought underground
> branches are also a part of roots,, infact i have seen inflorescence on the
> butresses of F. hispida in forest areas..
> please help anyone...
>  - H.S.
> A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
> stone

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology