A reply:
"Dear all,
Katarina is 100% correct. This is Hydnophytum formicarum (Rubiaceae) the
famous ant plant. This plant mostly occurs in Mangrove trees but i have
noticed them also in high altitude areas like Mount Harriet, Mount ford and
Saddle peak in Andaman Islands. This is a very interesting plant having a
bulb with numerous channels in it housing ant colonies. The ants in turn
helps to protect herbivory to some extent but the main advantage to the
plant if the excreta and other residues left but ant provides nutrition to
the plant.
Thanks and regards,
Karthi"
Thanks, Dr.K. Karthigeyan

J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a *thousand species* &
eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
alphabetically & place-wise):
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members &
69,000 messages on 30/4/11) or Efloraofindia website: