Though we have still to find the reason for ambiguity of Morinda pubescens,
the reason for rejection of M. tinctotoria has been found from the Trees of
Mumbai by R R Fernandez, 1999.

The reason why M. tinctoria Roxb. can't be maintained is because it is a
later homonym of M. tinctoria Noronha, which was published much earlier in
1790 (is a different species considered as synonym of M. citrifolia L.)

It also turns out that although M. tomentosa Heyne ex Roth is cited as
synonym in FBI, apparantly Hooker's variety tomentosa ( renamed M. coreia
var. tomentosa (Hook.f.) R R Fernandez) and species M. tomentosa Heyne ex
Roth (now considered a synonym of M. citrifolia L.) are two different taxa.

Perhaps this key from Trees of Mumbai, kindly supplied by Viplav ji should
help

https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/7c0dbba82a0028ec/5ae4a8efc31cd658?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=Trees+of+Mumbai#5ae4a8efc31cd658

Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089